Packed with protein and a unique taste that compliments most meals, peas come in a lot of varieties and are extremely popular.
But, Can dogs eat peas?
As with any human food, it is good to always double-check and make sure what your furry companion can and can’t have—after all, you don’t want your pooch to get sick, right?
In this post, I’ll be talking about peas and whether or not feeding them to your furry friend is a good idea.
So, let’s jump right in, shall we?
Can I Give My Dog Peas Without Any Problems?
Yes, dogs can eat peas without having any problems at all! In fact, if you read dog food labels, you’ll see that most dog foods do contain peas!
However, there’s something you need to know…
Feeding your dog that had kidney problems isn’t a good idea as they contain a purine compound. Other than that, you’re good to go.
If your dog hasn’t previously munched on peas then, you should start by feeding your dog small quantities and building your way up.
Advantages of Feeding Your Dog Peas
In this section, I’d like to go over a few advantages that feeding your dog peas has. Let’s take a look:
- Adding peas to your dog’s diet can help strengthen his immune system and can even reduce arthritic symptoms!
- Peas are also known to have anti-inflammatory properties that can be a good thing if your dog has an infection
- High energy levels in dogs have been linked with the intake of peas in dogs
- Peas are rich in antioxidants such as alpha and beta-carotene and flavonoids that are known to help slow down the aging process in dogs
- Since peas contain a lot of fiber, they improve your dog’s bowel help in the long term and help prevent constipation
- Polyphenol in peas is known to keep cancer away
- Peas also contain Vitamin B and K that strengthen a dog’s bones, decreasing the chances of osteoporosis
- Peas also contain natural sugar
Peas really are a kind of a superfood as they are rich in protein, fiber, and other necessary vitamins and minerals.
Adding peas to your dog’s meals can help optimize your pet’s health and keep him happy and youthful in the long run.
The Verdict: Can Dogs Eat Peas?
Yes, you can feed your pooch some peas—they are in fact, one of the top ingredients used in dog foods as well.
Peas generally sit well with dogs but, are known to cause digestive upset in some breeds. However, you should never feed them a dog that is suffering from a kidney problem.
Rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals, I feel that peas are an excellent addition to a dog’s meal and have several health benefits.
Did I answer all the questions you had? If not, then please leave a comment down below and I will help you out in every way possible!
Looking forward to hearing from you….