Did you know that giving your dog human food isn’t a good idea?
However, even if the main ingredient isn’t necessarily toxic for dogs, sometimes other ingredients are. So, if you’ve got a lot of onion in a chicken dish then, you’re unknowingly risking your dog’s health!
In this article, I’ll address the question, “Can dogs eat fish?” and help you figure out certain things.
So, let’s get started!
The Answer: Can Dogs Eat Fish?
Fish is extremely nutritious and has various health benefits for you as well as for your doggy friend as it is an extremely good source of protein and the essential vitamins and minerals.
Yes, dogs can eat fish.
However, there are a few things you need to consider before go on feeding your dog some of your favorite seafood!
- Moderation is key As you may have already heard time and again, an excess of everything is bad and, the same is true with fish. You should make sure that you only feed your pooch a moderate quantity of fish. I would recommend that fish should be considered as a sort of a ‘topper’ and should never be considered as a meal replacement.
- ExclusionsOne fish that you must never feed your dog is salmon. Other than that, just about any other fish can be given to your pooch.
- Feeding considerationsFirst of all, you should always feed your dog fresh fish. Spoiled fish fed either raw or cooked, can prove to be very harmful to your pooch’s health.
The Advantage of Feeding Your Dog Some Fish
Following are the advantages of feeding your doggy some fish:
- Fish contains a healthy cocktail of fatty acids such as Omega-3 and is an excellent source of good fat
- Feeding your dog fish is good for his brain and will also help your doggy get a healthy and shiny coat
- Fish contains a lot of healthy vitamins and minerals that your doggy’s body needs in order to function optimally
All in all, fish can be really healthy for your doggy friend but, you need to keep in mind that it is only good when fed in moderation.
Fish is really good and healthy for both, you and your furry friend.
However, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind before feeding it to your doggy:
- First and foremost, you need to make sure that it is fed as a meal topper or as a snack and shouldn’t replace meals
- Steer clear of feeding your pet salmon
- Never feed your pooch spoiled fish
One more thing that you shouldn’t forget that fish have sharp and tiny bones that can get stuck in your dog’s throat and cause an uncomfortable situation.
So, it is advisable that you feed your furry friend raw fish as uncooked bones are softer than cooked ones.
Hope this article is helpful in answering the question, can dogs have fish.