Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter?
Yes. Most Peanut butter brands are all right for dogs to eat as a treat. However, not all types of peanut butter are safe for dogs. Brands with artificial sweeteners, specifically xylitol, are harmful to dogs.
Xylitol is a sweetener widely used as a sugar substitute in “sugar-free” chewing gums, mints, peanut butter, and other candies.
When ingested, Xylitol results in a rapid drop in blood sugar in dogs, diarrhea, seizures, liver failure, and even death.
Make sure to always review the peanut butter label to make sure it doesn’t contain any xylitol.
Peanut butter should only be fed to dogs as a treat, i.e., in moderation.
Like other dog treat, they should not be more than 10% of the daily dog’s calories to avoid upsetting their nutritional balance.
Another safe option is choosing unsalted or homemade peanut butter that does not have extra sugar or other additives.
Keep reading until the end of the article for a quick and easy way to make homemade peanut butter.
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
What are the Health Benefits of Peanut Butter to a Dog?
Peanut butter as a dog treat is nutritious. It has proteins, vitamins B, Vitamin E, heart-healthy fats, and niacin.
Besides the healthy fats and proteins, it provides fiber, folic acid essential for cell growth, and magnesium for improved metabolism.
When Should I Start Feeding My Dog Peanut Butter?
It is advisable to avoid feeding your dog peanut butter before they are six weeks. It is even better to wait longer until they can digest solid foods. Introduce any treat (peanut butter) during the last weeks of the weaning process, at about seven to eight weeks of age.
After weaning, puppies can eat high-quality puppy food, including peanut butter, with the right kind of nutrition and in moderation. To start feeding your small dog, you should get no more than about 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter per day.
Related: Can Dogs Eat Honey Roasted Peanuts?
Are there Health Risks of Feeding my Dog Excess Peanut Butter?
Peanut butter has high levels of fats and proteins, and feeding your dog too much of these can lead to weight gain, gastrointestinal distress, and other health complications such as pancreatitis.
For example, two tablespoons of peanut butter contain 180-200 calories, meaning that the calories in peanut butter add up quickly.
If your dogs have health complications such as obesity, diabetes, kidney problems, pancreatitis, or are on a special diet then you should not feed them peanut butter.
You can, however, call your veterinarian for advice before feeding your dog peanut butter.
Therefore, it is advisable to limit your dog to an occasional peanut butter treat only when you are giving medication, bathing, distracting, or rewarding them.
For older dogs, 1 tablespoon a couple of times per week is enough. It is also advisable to alternate between peanut butter treats and other healthy dog treats to avoid the risk of high fats and calories.
While most kinds of peanut butter that are Xyliton free appear okay for dogs, it does not mean they are entirely safe.
Peanut butter whether natural or organic contains other added ingredients such as Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, Mono and Diglycerides, and sugar which might cause obesity and heart disease.
To be on the safe side, there are two options:
Number 1. Make your own peanut butter. All you need is a food processor and peanuts. And you will not use any unwanted ingredients that might be harmful to your dog. You are therefore assured that your homemade peanut butter is safe.
Here is a quick and easy recipe.
Grab a cup of peanuts and place them in a food processor. Begin to pulse for about 10 seconds. Then place the processor on the continuous process mode. Pause every so often and scrape the sides of the bowl. It may not look like it but eventually, the peanuts will become a healthy creamy peanut butter that you can use to treat your doggy.
Trust me. Your dog will love it.
Number 2. Choose a peanut butter brand that is free from all these additional ingredients. The best peanut butter for your dog should only contain peanuts and low amounts of salt!
Here are some of our recommendations.
I really hope I answered the question Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter?
Here Are Some Peanut Butter For Dogs Recommendations
- ✔️ HEALTHY DOG TREAT - if you wouldn't eat its why would you feed it to your dog, aka your furry family member? That's why we made an all natural peanut butter for dogs that's fit for human consumption. It two simple ingredients peanuts and honey. Theres no high fructose corn syrup, stabilizers, xylitol, artificial sugar, or salts.
- ✔️ REFRIGERATE - our peanut butter is all natural free of harmful ingredients and stabilizers. Refrigerating your buddy budder will allow it to thicken so its easier to stuff inside of dog enrichment toys and to use as a pill pocket.
- ✔️ FOR ALL DOGS - puppies, adult, large and small breeds can enjoy BUDDY BUDDER. It's an all natural product, just use pup parent discretion when feeding and introducing a new treat some dogs have more sensitive tummies than others.
- ✔️ MULTI-FUNCTIONAL - Our dog peanut butters were designed with your pets health in mind so that you the pet parent could feel at ease feeding them a healthy dog treat. The buddy budder can be enjoyed from a spoon, lick mat, bake treats, make frozen treats with silicone molds, and/ or used as pill pocket to hide the taste of yucky medicine. The possibilities are endless for dog treats.
- ✔️ MADE IN USA - our products ingredients are high quality reginonally sourced ingredients chosen and manufactured by us in our facility. We take pride in manufacturing our own treats so that we can continue to deliver a quality product.
- Nutritious Delight: Treat your furry friend to the goodness of DOG for DOG Probiotic Peanut Butter, a wholesome and delectable peanut butter for dogs, specially formulated with probiotics to support their overall health and well-being.
- Beneficial Ingredients: This dog-friendly calming peanut butter is enriched with powerful probiotics (Bacillus Coagulans GBI 30 6086) and prebiotics (Inulin), working together to bolster their immune system, aid in digestion, and promote a happy gut.
- Easy & Effective: Enhance your dog's meals and training sessions effortlessly with this irresistible Peanut Butter Probiotics for Dogs. Simply spread it on treats, or toys, or use it as a tasty topping to make mealtime even more enjoyable for your furry companion.
- Trusted USA Quality: Made with love and care in the USA, our Probiotic DogsButter guarantees premium quality ingredients and stringent manufacturing standards, ensuring your pet receives nothing but the best for a healthy and contented life.
- OUR STORY: At DOG for DOG, we are driven by a passion for providing wholesome and nourishing treats for dogs. Our journey started with a mission to create natural and safe products that pet parents can trust. With a commitment to quality ingredients and manufacturing, we ensure that every product is crafted to the highest standards, offering a delectable and healthy treat they'll wag their tails for.