As a child, I didn’t like to eat mushrooms, but that changed when I became an adult.
I love to eat mushrooms because there’s so much you can do with them---from grilled mushrooms to eating them with eggs, in stir fries, or making thick chicken and mushroom soup!
But, can your dog have a taste of cooked mushrooms?
There are thousands of varieties of mushrooms available but, only 100 out of them are poisonous.
In this article, I’ll answer the question, Can dogs eat cooked mushrooms?” in as much detail as possible.
So, without further ado, let’s begin!
Dogs and Mushrooms: What You Should Know
While there are thousands of different varieties of mushrooms available, only a handful of them is actually toxic.
Your dog can eat mushrooms but only the kind you get in the grocery store or the supermarket.
So, the mushrooms that are safe for humans to eat are safe for dogs as well.
A Nice Treat
A dog’s digestive system may not necessarily agree with mushrooms.
However, if your furry friend’s digestive system can handle them, you can give them to your doggy friend as an occasional treat. Rich in Vitamin D, mushrooms are low in calories and give your dog’s immune system a boost.
This makes a nice occasional treat.
Mushrooms are also loaded with protein, niacin, antioxidants, and enzymes.
Cooked Mushrooms: Are they Safe for my Dog?
Cooked mushrooms aren’t really the best for your doggy friend as they are usually high in salt and may contain seasonings that might not agree with your dog’s stomach or may be toxic to your furry friend.
A piece or two of cooked mushrooms may not do much harm to your dog but, it is best to avoid it.
After all, prevention is better than the cure.
Too much consumption of salt may cause sodium poisoning---which can prove to be fatal for your dog.
Following are the symptoms of sodium poisoning in dogs:
- Ataxia (staggering gait)
- Liver failure
- Abdominal pain
If you see any of these signs, you must contact your vet immediately and seek help for mushroom poisoning.
This condition can prove to be fatal for your furry friend so, taking him to the vet in a timely manner may save his life.
Yes, dogs can eat mushrooms.
However, you should give your furry friend cooked mushrooms in moderation---perhaps a piece or two as a treat on occasion.
The only kind of mushrooms that are safe for your dog to have are the kind you get at the grocery store or the supermarket. They aren’t the poisonous kind and safe for human consumption.
Always call your vet before introducing any new food item in your dog’s diet.
Keep in mind that your furry friend gets all the nutrition he needs from his kibble and doesn’t need anything extra in his diet. Cooked mushrooms should only be fed as a treat.