Can Dogs Eat Squid?
Some people love seafood while others get repulsed when thinking of it.
I’m the kind of person who loves seafood, and I like to try new recipes whenever I can.
Recently, I came across an excellent squid recipe that I wanted to try out. And, my dog seemed to like what he smelled cooking.
As always, I did my research to determine whether or not I could feed my dog some.
In this article, I would like to answer the question, “Can dogs eat squid?” in as much detail as I possibly can.
So, let’s just jump right in!
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Yay or Nay: Can Dogs Eat Squid?
Yes, dogs can eat squid without having any adverse health problems.
Just keep in mind that some dogs don’t need or shouldn’t have a high protein diet. Such dogs include older dogs or dogs with any sort of kidney issues.
Squid is a low-fat seafood and is best consumed if it isn’t fried or battered.
Squids are commonly fed to dogs on raw diets as they are rich in micronutrients.
However, some dogs do have an aversive reaction to squid and maybe even allergic to it!
So, it is always a good idea to talk to your vet before making any tweaks or moderations to your dog’s diet.
Let’s take a look at some health benefits of this seafood for your doggy friend!
Health Benefits of Squid for Dogs
Copper stimulates the process of making red blood cells (RBCs) as it helps in the storage and production of iron which forms red blood cells.
Zinc is important for your doggy’s body. Squids have an abundant amount of zinc in which helps fight the microorganisms that may damage the dog’s body from within.
Zinc also strengthens the immune system and safeguards your dog from illnesses.
Low In Fat And Calories
Low in fat and cholesterol, Squid is ideal for dogs as it is a very good source of protein. This will help you keep the unnecessary fat off and provide with good nutrition.
In 100 grams of squid, only 1.4 grams of calories are present!
Uncooked squid is a good option for your furry friend.
A Good Source Of Protein
Protein is one of the most important ingredients in a dog’s diet as it helps in the proper development and growth of your doggy friend.
Squid is abundant in protein and enhances the production of chemicals, enzymes, and hormones crucial for your dog’s development.
Reduces The Risk Of Heart Diseases
Healthy diets which are low in fat help keep your dog’s heart healthy and helps it work effectively and efficiently.
The potassium in squid helps in enhancing the dog’s normal heartbeat while Vitamin E helps reduce your dog’s risk of developing heart diseases.
Following are the essential vitamins the quid contains:
- Vitamin B3 helps stabilize the blood sugar levels in your dog’s body
- Vitamin B12 helps protect your dog’s heart and reduces risks that may cause impairment in the functioning of your dog’s heart
- The riboflavin present in Vitamin B2 enhances the proper functioning of your dog’s heart
- 2-INGREDIENT DOG TREATS: Wholesome Pride Banana Bites are a deliciously natural treat made with just two ingredients—bananas and coconut oil.
- GRAIN-FREE & EASY TO DIGEST: These 100% natural, grain-free banana dog treats have no artificial preservatives, artificial ingredients, or fillers, making them easy to digest for pups with food allergies or sensitive bellies.
- WHOLESOME & HEALTHY TRAINING TREAT: Bite sized and only 8 calories per treat, these healthy dog treats are perfect for frequent rewarding when training puppies and dogs of all sizes.
- HIGH-QUALITY, GLOBALLY SOURCED: At Wholesome Pride, we work closely with farmers around the globe to sustainably source and produce the highest-quality dog treats for your beloved furry friend.
- MULTIPLE TASTY TREAT FLAVORS: Wholesome Pride dog treats come in a variety of nutritious options to support your dog's health and wellbeing. Choose from one or more of these limited ingredient treats as a gift that's sure to please!
Can Dogs Eat Squid?
Yes, dogs can eat squid without having any adverse health effects.
In fact, squid has several health benefits for your furry friend. It is high in protein, zinc, copper, vitamins, and minerals, etc.
Also, it helps keep your furry friend’s coat healthy and shiny!
Low in calories, Squid is also good in keeping your puppy’s heart healthy and prevents cardiac diseases.
If you can’t get your hands on squid to feed feed your dog then try this high quality dog food.
- ACTIVE DOG FOOD: VICTOR’s Hi-Pro Plus formula is a gluten free, high protein dog food with a nutrient-dense, multi meat formula; this dry dog food’s super premium nutrition provides sustained energy for sporting dogs and dogs with high physical demands
- 30% PROTEIN DRY FOOD: Packed with premium-quality beef, chicken, pork and fish meals
- FROM PUPPY TO ADULT: Suitable for all life stages, this premium dog food is ideal for pregnant dogs, lactating females and puppies; VICTOR Hi-Pro Plus for Dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages, except for growth of large size dogs (70 lb. or more as an adult)
- PROPRIETARY VPRO BLEND: This super premium dog food has been formulated with our exclusive mix of supplements, vitamins and minerals which help maximize the genetic potential of every dog, regardless of breed, age, or activity level
- MADE IN THE USA: We proudly produce every bag of VICTOR kibble in our own Texas-based facility and do not waver in our commitment to high-quality nutrition. A majority of ingredients come from ranches, farms and other trusted suppliers who are within a day’s drive of our East Texas plant