As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dog love chewing on bones.
In fact, it is a common practice for owners to give their dogs bones to play with and chew on.
But, is this safe?
Cooked bones can hurt your dog’s mouth, wreak havoc on his stomach, cause intestinal blockage, and even rectal bleeding because they are brittle.
Not just that, they lose most of their nutrition in the process of cooking.
Is this any different for raw bones?
In this article, I will answer the question,”Can dogs eat chicken bones?” in as much detail as possible.
Let’s get started!
Are Raw Chicken Bones Safe for Dogs?
Yes, dogs can eat raw chicken bones without having any problems or harmful side effects.
However, there are some steps that you need to take to ensure your dog’s safety.
However, you should never give your cooked chicken bones as they can result in aversive health effects.
Raw chicken bones, on the other hand, are soft and flexible which makes them easy to chew and won’t become brittle and get sharp.
Dogs are descended from wolves for whom bones are a part of the diet.
Raw chicken bones are rich in nutrients and help in cleaning the dog’s teeth.
They also help your dog strengthen his gums.
However, you need to supervise your doggy friend when they’re eating the bones.
Your dog could try to swallow a large piece of bone and can end up choking on it!
Aside from that, dogs love bones and want to keep for to themselves.
So, it is essential that you keep your other pets or children away so that your dog doesn’t snap at them.
Some dogs also get aggressive while eating their bones.
Keep your dog’s temperament in check.
In case your dog starts to become aggressive, it is best to stop giving your dog the raw bones and stick to kibble.
Precautions to Be Taken When Giving Your Dog Raw Chicken Bones
Following are the precautions you need to take while giving your dog some chicken bones.
Let’s take a look!
- Let your dog have a bone for about 20 minutes per day. You can rinse the bone and allow it to chill in the refrigerator for the next day.
- You can even soak the bone in some vinegar to kill the bacteria before you refrigerate it. You should discard the bone after a few day’s use.
- Start offering your doggy bones while he’s still young—ideally in puppyhood. The logic behind this is that they need to learn not to gulp but to chew instead.
- If your dog is an adult, keep an eye on him.
- Adult dogs get over excited when given bones and can attack the bone, bite off a piece, swallow some chunks, etc. which can cause intestinal problems.
- Keep an eye on your dog while he’s eating the bone. Take the bone back if it becomes small enough to swallow as it is a choking hazard.
- Don’t take a bone away from the dog while he’s chewing it. Instead, bring your dog’s attention to his favorite toy or a treat he loves.
- Dogs often get aggressive can even bite their owners because they’re protective of their bones!
Final Words: Can Dogs Eat Raw Chicken Bones?
Yes, dogs can eat raw chicken bones.
However, there are several precautions you need to take before letting your dog have the bones.
First of all, try and keep the kids and other pets away because dogs are protective of their bones and can often snap at others if they come too close.
Make sure to keep an eye on the dog while he’s chewing the bone to keep him safe.
I hope this article is helpful in answering the question, can dogs eat raw chicken bones.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.