Can Dogs Eat Beets

Can Dog Eat Beets

Beets are roots vegetables that can be found in various areas all over the world.

Can Dogs Eat Beets

It comes with that amazing sweet taste. It also offers an array of benefits to humans.

However, you are probably wondering if it is safe to give it to your dog.

The simple answer would be yes, it is safe for the dogs to eat beets.

According to the study, beets are great sources of essential nutrients.

Nonetheless, you need to remember some rules when feeding your dogs with beets.

Dogs Can Eat Beets but Only in Moderation

A tiny amount of beets is perfectly safe for our canine friends.

Unfortunately, giving your dogs with a significant amount of beets can lead to diarrhea.

Beets are the ideal source of dietary fiber that helps the digestive process of both humans and animals.

Sadly, an increased dosage of the dietary fiber will cause excessive gas, diarrhea, bloating, and abdominal pain.

Due to this, you need to make sure that you will only give them beets in moderation.

You should also not cut the dog’s supply of dietary fiber. Eating beets in moderation would be beneficial to the digestive tract of your dogs.

The proper supply of fiber will help in preventing constipation and diarrhea.

It can also help in preventing the possibility of developing colon cancer and sustain an ideal weight.

How Much Should I Give to My Dogs?

It is quite easy for people to say that beets should be given in moderation. However, how do you know that it is a moderate amount?

RELATED:  Can Dogs Eat Arugula

According to the experts, at least 25% of the diet of your dog should be consists of vegetables and the remaining 75% should be protein.

In order to provide your pet with a diverse source of nutrient, the 25% should be different types of vegetables. It should not only be beets.

Contingent upon their size, our dogs will require 20-40 calories per pound of their total body weight.

This simply means that the medium-sized pet that has an average weight of 40lbs will need a supply of 1,200 calories each day.

The 25% of that would be 300lbs of vegetables that may include beets.

Since the beets have a low caloric content, you can probably give the dog with 4 beets every day.

If you have a smaller dog, reduce the amount of beets to 2 pieces each day.

Most dogs have tendency to swallow huge chunks of their foods due to their inability to chew appropriately.

This will make it more difficult for them to digest the vegetables.

We advise you to cook the beets first and put them in a blender or food processor.

This will help them to easily digest the food.

To enhance the nutritional content of the beets, you may also add the puree to other ingredients like buckwheat.

We also recommend avoiding canned beets. It contains a large amount of salts and preservatives.

Our dogs cannot tolerate this amount of preservative and salt. Too much salt may lead to poisoning which is a life-threatening condition.

I hope this article is helpful in answering the question, can dogs have beets.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top