Pregnancy in every animal works differently and if you own a female dog, you need to know a few things about pregnancy in dogs in order to be able to provide the right kind of car and nourishment for your furry companion and the little ones.
In this blog post, I’ve decided to go through a few facts about pregnancy in dogs and answer the question, “How long are dogs pregnant for?” and some other things that you may not know about!
So, let’s just dive right in!
A Few Things You Need to Know About Pregnancy in Dogs
In this section of the blog, I have a few points that I’d like to share with you about pregnancy in dogs.
So, let’s get started.
1. A mature female dog goes “in heat” twice a year or once every six months. Although, it isn’t uncommon for your dog to miss a few cycles.
2. Each cycle of a female dog lasts for up to 21 days. Changes in mood, a bloody discharge, and an enlarged vulva are probably the telltale signs of your female dog being in heat.
3. The most important thing to note is that your dog must be at least two years old before you allow her to breed—as pregnancy at an early age can cause a lot of health problems for the puppies and the mama.
4. Your dog will show interest in the opposite sex in subtle ways such as by elevating her hindquarters, moving her tail to one side, etc.
5. The normal pregnancy in dogs is of 58-68 days. However, this also depends on the breed of the dog.
6. Your dog can be pregnant with one to twelve puppies at a time! This, too, depends on the breed of the dog.
7. A litter of pups may not be all fathered by the same dog!
8. The early signs of pregnancy include decreased level of activity, changes in mood and behavior, enlarged nipples, a decrease in appetite, etc.
9. Your dog’s belly will start to grow as the pregnancy progresses and, during the last two weeks, your dog would show a few changes in behavior—with the most common being that of ‘nesting’. Your dog will start to look for an ideal spot to give birth in and may be irritable and restless.
10. You should provide your dog with a warm and safe place to give birth in and keep in touch with your vet in case any complications occur. A paddling pool is one of the most common things used.
How Long are Dogs Pregnant For?
Dogs are pregnant for 58-68 days but that depends on the breed of the dog as well.
You need to make sure that your dog is not too young to have babies and the ideal age to start breeding is after the 2-year mark. A female dog goes into heat twice a year, but too many pregnancies have a negative effect on the dog’s health.