I am a big fan of summer barbecues, hamburgers, coleslaw and hot dogs covered in baked beans. In fact, baked beans are probably one of my favorite foods!
And, as always, my dog comes sniffing around whenever I’m enjoying anything to eat and likes to ‘beg’ for whatever I’m eating---even if he’s just had his dinner.
Like I said earlier, I love baked beans but, are baked beans safe for my doggy friend to consume?
A lot of dogs have aversive reactions to human foods and end up in emergency care due to innocent mistakes. Since dogs and humans belong to different species, some things that are safe for humans to consume may be toxic to dogs.
So, looking food up before you feed it to your furry friend is always a good idea!
In this article, I will answer the question, “Can dogs have baked beans?” in as much detail as I can.
Let’s get started!
Dogs and Beans: What’s the Deal?
While it is safe for your dog to have some beans, others aren’t safe for your furry friend to consume.
In this section of the article, I’ll quickly go through the beans your doggy friend can and can’t have.
Beans Safe for Dogs to Consume
Following is a list of beans that are completely safe for your furry friend to consume:
In fact, some of these may even be beneficial for your furry friend to consume.
Beans Unsafe for Dogs to Consume
Following is a list of beans that not at all safe for your doggy friend to consume:
Do consult this list whenever you’re in doubt. You can save this webpage to your bookmarks and revisit whenever in need!
Can Dogs Have Baked Beans?
As you may have observed in the previous section, baked beans were in the list of beans that dogs can’t have.
So, no, dogs cannot have baked beans.
In this section of the blog, I will go through the reasons why your furry friend shouldn’t be given baked beans.
High in Sugar and Fat
High sugar and high fat are two things that you need to keep your furry friend away from. And, guess what?
Baked beans are high in both of these!
So, it is a good idea to keep them as far away from your furry friend as possible. High fat and sugar can cause your dog to have diabetes among other serious medical conditions.
It is always better to be safe than sorry.
Baked beans contain a tomato-based sauce as well as tomatoes.
We all know that tomatoes are toxic to dogs and can cause even death if given in high enough quantities.
So, keep your dog as far away from baked beans as possible.
Intake of baked beans by dogs is known to cause pancreatitis. In the condition, the pancreas of the dog swell up or get inflamed which causes pain and swelling as the pancreas start digesting themselves.
Following are the symptoms of pancreatitis in dogs:
Abnormal posture which includes arching of the back
Pancreatitis is a serious condition that affects dogs. So, giving your dog baked beans isn’t worth putting his health at risk.
What To Do If Your Dog Ate Baked Beans
If your dog accidentally ate some baked beans, you need to call your vet immediately and figure out what you need to do.
If your dog has only had a small quantity of the beans, the chances are that all will be okay. But do still call your vet and ask for his opinion.
Symptoms You Should Look Out For
Take your furry friend to the emergency center if you observe any one of the following symptoms:
Upset stomach, diarrhea, or vomiting
Time is of the essence in case you see any of the above-mentioned symptoms. You need to act fast to keep your doggy friend safe.
Raw beans are completely safe for dogs to consume. In fact, they are popularly used as ingredients in dog foods as well.
Final Words: Can Dogs Have Baked Beans?
No, dogs cannot have baked beans as they are high in sugar and fat which puts your dog at risk of developing diabetes or pancreatitis. Other than that, baked beans are also known to contain tomatoes that are toxic to dogs.
So, you should keep your furry friend as far away from baked beans as possible.
If your dog accidentally consumes a small amount, call up your vet immediately to determine what you should do next. However, if your dog had only a small amount, the chances are that he’ll be safe.