Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms

Most of us love to eat mushroom due to the array of benefits that it provides.

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms

However, you are probably wondering if the dogs can eat mushroom.

As a responsible pet owner, you need to be aware if this sustenance is safe before you serve it to your dogs.

The answer to the above question would be yes BUT make sure that it is a store-bought mushroom.

The mushrooms that we bought on store are a lot safer compared to the mushroom that we encounter in the wilds.

Using Mushroom as a Treat

Mushroom and those who belong in the similar food groups provides benefits to human and dogs.

 It is packed with all the necessary nutrients needed to optimize the well-being of the dogs.

It contains B Vitamins that is a key factor for cell metabolism.

 It has a healthy dose of Vitamin D that normalize the calcium and phosphorous in the body of our pets.

It also promotes a healthy process of bone formation.

 The protein level of mushroom repair damaged muscle tissue and skin cells. It will also boost our pet’s immune system. 

Mushroom also contains a high amount of riboflavin, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Antioxidants, and Manganese.

The Dangers of the Wild Mushrooms

While only a small percentage of the mushroom is considered toxic, the toxic mushrooms contain a high level of toxicity.

 Identifying the toxic mushroom can also be difficult.

This is why most veterinarians will tell the pet owners to treat all wild mushrooms as toxic.

Some people think that the amazing scent ability of dogs will allow them to smell the poison on the wild mushroom but this is not the case.

RELATED:  Can Dogs Eat Pomegranate

Our dog will eat mushroom due to their inquisitive nature.

The texture, scent and the taste of the mushroom may intrigue them.

Furthermore, there are varieties of toxic mushroom such as Inocybe spp and Amanita phalloides that have odd odors. 

Dogs will always be drawn to the odd odors which is why it is common for the dogs to eat the toxic mushrooms.

The symptoms related with the mushroom poisoning will vary depending on the variety of mushroom.

Mushrooms contain different types of toxins that will differently affect our dogs.

For instance, if the dog ate a mushroom that contains Amanitin, they may show GI symptoms that will lead to liver failure and death. 

There are also mushroom that have sedative effects that can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and seizures.

The toxicity of the mushroom can also worsen the underlying health condition of our dogs.

Treatment for the Mushroom Poisoning

The treatment options for the mushroom poisoning will be contingent upon the type of mushroom that was ingested by your dog and the related symptoms.

 It would be better if you will get a sample of the mushroom. Wrap the mushroom on a dried towel and keep it inside a paper bag.

Bring your pet to the veterinarian together with the mushroom that will allow the veterinarian to determine the right solution for your dog.

I hope this article is helpful in answering the question, can dogs eat mushrooms.

Scroll to Top